Letter To The Editor: Overseas Markets Drive Horse-Slaughter in B.C.
This commanding letter on horse slaughter in Canada was written by D. Fisher of Kelowna, British Columbia.
It’s simply magisterial in its eloquence!
“Industry without ethics, capitalism without conscience – is tortured flesh the flavour of our times?
The Canadian horse slaughter industry is an abomination. Within its harrowing abyss exist the theft of liberty, unpardonable anguish and the dismemberment of a noble icon.
Advocates in favour of this industry present the following arguments for its existence:
- Horses are meat – tasty meat for man. I want some.
- Slaughterhouses humanely euthanize old, crippled and unwanted horses.
- Slaughter controls over-population.
- The industry provides employment.
Different perceptions and the high ground we call morality oppose these arguments:
- Horses are not meat to do with as we please. Throughout history, beside the footprints of man are the hoof prints of the horse. A pony is a child’s dream, a horse an…
View original post 442 more words